Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines Drive

I've never really done Valentines. Probably because I haven't dated many people. Last I remember was in year 11 when Melanie gave me a blue teddy. Too much commitment for me - I cut and ran. Anyway, it was an unhealthy grade of blue.

I was keen to give Vday a shot this year, but uncertain how to approach it, given the nature of the history with this friend of mine. Over this summer I've reconnected with my best friend from high school. We were both so coy we never even hinted at dating while in school, and following grad simply drifted our separate ways. Haven't seen her in years, but our time together this summer has grown into what I can only describe as the seeing-her stage - interested but not bankable. Our commonality as commitment-phobes has ironically enabled us to open up to each other.

So herein lay my dilemma: how do I show my affection in an openhanded manner? Roses were out. Far too red.

There's a frangipani tree near my house. She cannot pass it without gathering two or three of its fallen flowers from the footpath. Problem is, no florist carries them (at short notice *blush*) because they damage easily. Also, she lives about 2 hours from me and I had prior commitments in Sydney this afternoon. Is driving several hours just to deliver a bouquet going to freak her out?

In the end I decided if we were such good friends and did understand each other then there wasn't much to lose. I have a knack for arriving at girl's houses when they are in the shower. Today was no exception; fortunately she came out wrapped in a towel for her mother was in the adjacent room. After an appropriate shriek, I told her to go get dressed and the sporadic giggles that came from her bedroom for the next five minutes told me that the trip had been worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment